When we think of roses, the picture that comes to our mind is beautiful, vibrant flowers with an amazing fragrance.
But do you know roses have some interesting facts as well? Roses are always associated with love. They are the flowers of love. They are edible and used in a lot of food products, used to make soaps and perfumes. Do you know rose is also a great source of vitamin C?
There are many other unknown interesting facts about the rose. Want to know about few of them?
- The world’s oldest living rose is believed to be 1000 years old which is on the wall of Cathedral of Hildesheim in Germany. According to legend, this rosebush ensures that Hildesheim stays prosperous.
- There are more than 100 species of rose.
- The rose can also grow into a fruit. It is known as Rose Hip. It is shaped like berry and is mostly red in color.
- Out of so many colors of roses, actually, there is no black rose. What we perceive as a black rose is actually a deep red rose.
- The world’s most expensive rose is a 2006 variety by famous rose breeder David Austin. The name of that rose is Juliet and it cost 5 million dollars and 15 years to grow.
- Rose can live for very, very long time. Rose fossils as old as 35 million years can be found.
- Cavriglia in Italy is the largest private rose garden in the world having more than 7500 varieties of rose.
- Roses can grow quite tall. The tallest rose bush stands tall at 23 feet.
- Nikita K. Rulhoksoffski from San Onofre California has bred the largest known rose ever. It measured around 33 inches in diameter. It’s pink in color.
- In 2002, a rose named Overnight Scentsation was taken to space for a very interesting study. The purpose of taking that rose to space was to show effects of low gravity on the smell of roses. The purpose of the study was also to improve the fragrances of a number of other consumer products.