1. Thandai Phirni
- Ghee – 1 tsp
- Full cream milk – 1 and ½ litre
- Long grain basmati rice – 3 tbsp
- Saffron – 15-20 strands ( Soaked in 2 tbsp milk )
- Thandai masala powder – 3 tbsp
- Sugar – ¼ cup
- Almond and pistachio slivers for garnishing
- Silver foil and dried rose petals for garnishing
- Wash the rice and soak in enough water for 30 minutes.
- Drain the water and grind in a blender to make a coarse paste.
- Heat ghee in heavy bottom pan.
- Add milk.
- Once the milk comes to a boil, simmer the heat.
- Add ground rice, thunder masala powder and saffron soaked in milk and cook on low heat till the milk is reduced to half and the phirni has thickened.
- Keep in mind that phirni will thicken some more once cooled.
- Transfer the phirni in terracotta pots and chill in refrigerator.
- Garnish with almond and pistachio slivers, silver foil and dried rose petals.
- Serve chilled.
2. Chocolate Gujiya
- For the dough:
- 1 Cup Flour
- 3 Tbsp Ghee(clarified butter)
- To taste Salt
- 1 Cup Water
- For the filling:
- 2 Cup Mava (condensed milk)
- 2 Cup Sugar
- A pinch of Cardamom powder
- 1/2 Cup Chocolate chips
- For frying Oil
- to dip the gujiyas Sugar syrup
- For garnish:
- 250 Gram Cream
- 250 Gram Fine chocolate
- 50 Gram Cardamoms
1. Add flour, ghee, salt. mix them and make dough, add water slowly to make it a hard dough and leave it for half an hour.
2.In an another pan, cook mava(condensed milk) till its brown, add sugar and continue to cook. Then add cardamom powder.
3.When the mixture cools, add some chocolate chips to it and mix well.
4.Now take a small piece of dough and roll it well. Cut it into smaller pieces with the help of some moulder or katori, remove extra dough and fill the mixture in it.
5.With some water, seal the edges. Then fold the edges to inside with the help of fork.
6.And fry till its golden brown
7.Meanwhile, take a bowl full of fine chocolate, add some fresh cream and microwave it for 2 minutes at lowest temperature, keep steering after every 30 seconds.
8.When gujiya is cooked, dip it in sugar syrup.
9.Place them on a plate and pour some chocolate syrup on it, garnish it with some cardamom and serve.
3. Malpua with Pistachio cream
For the Malpua
- 1 cup All purpose flour
- ½ cup Khoya or thickened ricotta cheese
- 3 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp cardamom
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 11/2 cup water(use more or less)
- 2 tbsp ghee or clarified butter to pan fry malpua
For Pistachio Cream filling
- ½ cup pistachios
- 1//3 tbsp ricotta cheese(or khoya)not very thick.
- 2 tbsp white sugar
For the sugar syrup
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 tbsp water
- drops of rose essence(optional)
- saffron (optional)
- pinch of cardamom
- ¼ tsp lemon juice to stop crystalization
- Some almonds or pistachios to garnish
For the Sugar Syrup
- Take ½ cup sugar in a pan and add water. Let it come to a one string consistency. That just means, when you take a little syrup in between the pointer finger and thumb, a one string should form. Be very very cautious when you try it because the syrup is very hot. Take it out of the heat and add some rose essense, saffron, cardamom and lemon juice. Set aside.
To make the Malpua
- In a large mixing bowl add the crushed khoya or the ricotta cheese. Mix well. Add the sugar, cardamom and mix well. Add the all purpose flour. Now add water little by little to make a smooth paste. The consistency of the batter should be of a pancake or a dosa. It should not be too thick or too thin. Last, add the baking powder and whip the batter for 2-3 minutes for a softer Malpua.
- Take a shallow non stick pan and add 2 tsp of clarified butter or ghee. Let it get hot, use a ladle to pour malpua. I used a tablespoon to make the malpua. Let it cook on one side, you will see it browning, then flip it and cook for another minute. Let it cook in medium heat. Take it out and dunk it in the syrup we’ve made.
- There are 2 options to serve this. You can dunk the malpua in the syrup and serve some cream over it or do not dunk it immediately, pinch the sides and form a cone. Let it set for few minutes. Then stuff the cream, drizzle some syrup over it(my preferred method).
For the Pistachio Cream
- Grind the pistachios with sugar to a fine paste. Take it out and mix in the ricotta cheese. It should not be runny. It should be of piping consistency. If you find the cream too thick, add a tsp of milk. Make sure it holds its shape when piping.
- Serve warm with some pistachio cream.