1. TIL CHIKKI
- Sesame seeds / Til: 100 gm
- Jaggery / Gud: 1/2 cup grated
- Water: 1 tbsp
- Ghee: 1 tsp, for greasing
- Wet the sesame seeds or til in the running water.
- Then dry out the sesame seeds by spreading them in a kitchen towel.
- In the non stick pan dry roast the sesame seeds or til until they starts fluttering. This way til chikki will become soft.
- Remove the sesame seeds in a plate and let them cool off.
- Also grate the jaggery or finely chop it using knife.
- Grease the rolling board with 1/2 tsp of clarified butter/ghee. Also apply some ghee on rolling pin.
To make til chikki or til gud chikki:
- In the same pan take grated jaggery / gud and add a tbsp of water and stir it.
- Stir continuously while the jaggery is melting.
- Once jaggery melts it will start forming a lot of bubbles. Stir continuously without stopping.
- After a while the bubbles will disappear and jaggery will form soft paste like slurry. Now is time to add roasted sesame seeds.
- Turn off the gas and add roasted sesame seeds / til in hot jaggery mixture. Mix well.
- Without wasting any time take the til gud mixture on rolling board and with the help of rolling pin make a flat disc around 1/4 inch thick.
- Using a knife make horizontal and vertical cut approx 2 inch apart while the spread is still hot.
- Once cooled separate each pieces and store them in an air tight container.
- Til chikki is ready now.
2. CHANA DAL KHICHDI
- 1 cup chana dal
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 cup Peas Fresh shelled
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 – 2 Star anise
- to taste salt
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 Tbsp ghee
- 2 – 3 red chilli whole
- 1 Tbsp Sesame seeds
Heat ghee in pressure cooker, add mustard seeds cumin seeds, star anise, cloves, cinnamon stick and roast in ghee for a minute.
Add chana dal which is already washed and roast it in ghee for 2-3 minutes and follow it with washed basmati rice.
Cook them together dry for 2-3 minutes and add salt, red chilli powder and turmeric powder. Add 4 cups of water and pressure cook for 2 whistles. And let the pressure release before opening the cooker.
To prepare tempering take a tadka pan heat 1 tbsp of ghee and add 2-3 red chillie whole and sesame seeds. Take the pan off from heat when seeds start to splutter and pour this tadka over hot khichadi and serve it immediately.
3. SABUDANA KHEER
- 1/2 cup Sabudana
- 2 1/2 cups Water
- 2 cups Milk, boiled & cooled
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom Powder
- 3 tsp Ghee
- Heat a teaspoon of ghee in a pan.
- Add and roast the sabudana on a medium – low flame for 4 – 5 minutes.
- Remove them from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add the remaining ghee.
- Add and fry the cashews until golden color. Then add raisins and fry until they plump up. Remove from pan and set them aside.
- Bring the water to a rolling boil in the same pan and add the roasted sabudana.
- Cover it with a lid and cook on a low flame until sago turns transparent and soft to touch.
- Keep on stirring occasionally.
- Add the cardamom powder and sugar and combine.
- Add milk and mix until well combined.
- Let it simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Add the roasted cashews and raisins and turn off the flame.
- his payasam will thicken as it cools.
- Let it cool down and serve!