Permanent Account Number (PAN) card is like an identity card for Indian nationals, with a set of alpha-numeric digits imprinted on it. But tell me honestly, if you ever cared to decode the sequence of characters on it. In fact, did you even know that each of the letters carries a meaning, and is not chosen randomly?
Anyway, you know, it’s never late than never learnt. Next time you carry the card in your wallet, be sure to feel proud. Because, you’ll be knowing what you’re carrying, in literal sense.
Hey! You’re just a minute away before you go boasting around ‘Arre, PAN card sirf dikhane ke liye nai hai, samajhne ke liye bhi hai’.
The PAN sequencing goes as: AAAPL1234C
- First three letters can be a permutation and combination of anything from AAA to ZZZ.
- The fourth character throws light on the type of holder. Each holder is categorized as below:
A — Association of Persons (AOP)
B — Body of Individuals (BOI)
C — Company
F — Firm
G — Government
H — HUF (Hindu Undivided Family)
L — Local Authority
J — Artificial Juridical Person
P — Individual
T — Trust(AOP)
K — Krish (Trust Krish)
- The fifth character is the first letter of one’s surname, in case of a personal PAN card, whereas it is the name of the Entity, Trust, society, or organisation in the case of Company/ HUF/ Firm/ AOP/ BOI/ Local Authority/ Artificial Judicial Person/ Govt
- Next four numbers can be any combination from 0001to 9999.
- Last digit is simply a check digit.
Done. Done. Done. Pat on your back as a token of appreciation for self. You finally know what you’ve been carrying around since years.